• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Storage

I'll be getting rid of my desktop to get a DTR notebook and was wondering what hardware is available out there that would allow me to hook up USB external hard drives to a wireless router and allow it to be shared between my wife's laptop and the one I will be getting.
    Right now I have them hooked up to my desktop with the sharing turned on to be accessed by my wife's laptop and my xbox but once I get rid of my desktop I won't be doing that anymore, and I don't want to be plugging them into my notebook all the time.

I just want to know my options to have a nice clean set up via wireless routers or some other form of wireless networking that won't require me to plug in storage to my laptops.

I've seen some wireless router products from Linksys that have exactly what you mention - a USB port to connect an external drive. ("Wireless-N Gigabit Router with Storage Link")

I have not used any of these products personally.

Comment

I use a similar device at home. I use the D-Link Xtreme N Wireless Router that has a USB Port on the back. I use both my printer and access a USB HDD through it When printing it allows me to print documents wirelessly or use data off of the drive.
      Justin Nolte
      [email protected]
      http://www.xoticpc.com

Comment

I've noticed that linksys sells a nice version of this, but it seems to be priced much higher than other manufacturers. I know linksys has quality products but I've seen similar product at half the cost! After researching laptops and finding out about "Brand Name" vs. "generic" benifits, I am now questioning decisions in other electronics. Has anyone dealt with some of the cheaper wireless routers with usb connections?
        Sager NP5792
        Alienware M11x-R1
        WUXGA Glossy
        11.6" WXVGA Glossy
        2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
        1.3GHz CULV Core 2 Duo OCed to 1.76GHz
        GeForce 8800GTX
        GeForce GT 335m
        4,096 DDR2 667 Memory
        4,096 DDR3 800 Memory
        200 Gb 7200 RPM SATA 150
        128 Gb GSkill Falcon SSD