• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NP9262 - Two Beeps on Bootup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NP9262 - Two Beeps on Bootup

I just received a replacement Sager NP9262 but have had a slight issue that last couple of days. Tonight, for the third time this weekend, after powering up the machine, I got two beeps and windows failed to start.

The beeps come after the BIOS and what looks like the RAID controller loads, right before I'd expect to see a Windows load status bar. A power down and restart have fixed the issue on both occasions, but I hope this isn't indicative of a larger problem.

I've had that experience with desktops before, but the two-beeps came before the POST and reseating the RAM seemed to fix that problem.

Does anyone know what the two beeps mean?

Thanks!

Well it beeps before auto-powering off when the battery is low.... I don't know of any other beeps.
    Sager NP5792

Microsoft Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit
    17" WUXGA
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 2.4GHz
    4 GB DDR2 667 RAM
    1 GB Intel Robson Turbo Memory
    500 GB 7200RPM Seagate Momentus HD
    nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX 512MB GDDR3

FORUM TROLL 4 LIFE
    http://teamamerimixwcg.blogspot.com/...online_05.html

Comment

me neither other than the beep i get when the windows load status bar comes on(which i must say is ANNOYING!!!) lol
      Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

I think I have a theory on what it is, but I need to test it again to be sure. I have a wireless mouse that I've been using (Logitech VX Revolution...great mouse btw).

I have a tendency to plug in the USB reciever stub after I power up the computer and before the Windows init screen. I think that is what is doing it. For the past couple of days I have made myself wait until Windows starts up and I am at an idle desktop before I plug the reciever in. No beeps yet.

I plan to try to plug it in early again and see what happens.

Thanks for the help, fellas.

Comment

oh yeah that could do it too. lol. the only thing i hv plugged in my ports prior to booing is my cooler. zip drives will stall the boot on mine. some will even freeze it then i hv to use "the finger of god" aka hard shutdown. lol i can leave my mouse ir transmitter plugged in though if i wanna.
          Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

Did you figure out the cause and/or solution? I have the same problem too sometimes.

Comment

i havent figured it out but mine doesnt do that also

Comment

I haven't gotten it to beep again. However, I also haven't plugged my mouse receiver in until after windows starts up.

I'm going to assume that is what it was, but I've been to lazy to make sure.

Comment

WHen you first described the problem, I thought you had a hard drive failure something similar happened to me before with a shitty western digital HDD the drive failed to mount and they said it was a common problem

I lost my finals 2 weeks before they were due

Comment

Bad drive?

Originally posted by Jagg3d3d93 View Post
                    WHen you first described the problem, I thought you had a hard drive failure something similar happened to me before with a shitty western digital HDD the drive failed to mount and they said it was a common problem

I lost my finals 2 weeks before they were due
                    Sorry about the finals, that really s..ks.

However! If you go out and look at all the current laptop drive reviews the WD is about the best there is, at the moment. Some drives do fail but that is the exception rather than the norm. There may be better drives available other than WD but they are only about 2% better (faster.) In fact the 5400 rpm drives are almost as fast, or as fast as, the latest 7200 drives in some testing benchmarks. That is from my own research. For the most part drives that are smaller than the 320GB drives run cooler. And that is the big problem with laptop drives, as they do not get cooled off as good as drives in a PC tower and they will start having problems when they go over 55 degrees C.

Some drives are defective from the factory and problems will show up soon after you get your rig. Other problems are from abuse; dropping the laptop, heat of operation, even to cold. A good rule of thumb is if a drive lasts for the first couple of weeks it will be around quite a while.

Hope your replacement drive is a good one.

You might want to look into copying your work onto a DVD so you have it when you need it. Sorry about that but I was brought up in a 'big iron' environment where we had to do weekend 'full backups' and daily 'incremental backups.' This was back in the bad old days of reel to reel tape without the modern benefit of mirroring, hard drive clusters or other automatic backup devices. So save your work. If you have broad-band access you could save it to an INTERNET backup service and it becomes their problem after that.
                    Sometimes living on a boat is like living in a cave.

Comment

I guess the bios could of been trying to read off of the receiver and load something from it.

Well if it works now, I wouldn't of worried about it at all. Just keep doing what your doing right now I guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X