• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fan not kicking on high NP5175, overheating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan not kicking on high NP5175, overheating

I had an issue a while back with overheating, re-applied some thermal paste and every thing was good to go, until recently. For whatever reason, my laptop has been overheating again, and shutting itself down.

AS far as I can tell, it's because the fan isn't running at its highest speed. When the CPU is at high load and I press Fn+1 I don't have any problems, and my HWMonitor shows a max temp of 95C (super high I know, but it doesn't hit 100C and shut down)
    However, when I leave the fan alone and let it work on its own, I get the overheating problem. The fans will not run at the same speed as hitting Fn+1 before hitting 100C and shutting down.

I've found a temporary fix for the problem by setting the max processor state down to 90% in power options, but I'm concerned there is some underlying problem that I should probably fix.

Sager NP5175 / Clevo W170HR
    2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2520M, 2.5-3.2GHz, (32nm, 3MB L3 cache)
    Stock OEM Thermal Compound
    6GB - DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS)
    500GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by CircusOctopus; 02-24-2012, 03:24 PM.

I've recently found is that when I'm running games or diagnostics WITHOUT the battery in, temps don't exceed 87C even with the fan problem... Is there any chance this could actually be a problem with the battery?
    Last edited by CircusOctopus; 02-24-2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

A bad battery could add to the problem. Does the battery seem like it gets hotter than it should.
      G73JH-A2
      i7-720 CPU HD5870 GPU
      8GB 1333MHz DDR3 2x500GB HDD

Comment

Originally posted by powerpack View Post
        A bad battery could add to the problem. Does the battery seem like it gets hotter than it should.
        It doesn't get significantly hotter (to the touch) than any other laptop I've owned, but the battery is definitely somehow the problem. I ran some more OCCT tests to see if maybe it was a fluke, and found out it wasn't. Without the battery in my laptop always sits at a max of 89C, and with it in, it overheats.

Can I open an RMA for just the battery? I would very much like to take care of this heat issue, and I can deal with the fan not kicking to high if it never need to...
        Last edited by CircusOctopus; 02-28-2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CircusOctopus View Post
          It doesn't get significantly hotter (to the touch) than any other laptop I've owned, but the battery is definitely somehow the problem. I ran some more OCCT tests to see if maybe it was a fluke, and found out it wasn't. Without the battery in my laptop always sits at a max of 89C, and with it in, it overheats.

Can I open an RMA for just the battery? I would very much like to take care of this heat issue, and I can deal with the fan not kicking to high if it never need to...
          Xotic should be able to get you a new battery, I just hope its the battery and not the charging circuit in the laptop.

flagging this for Xotic attention.

Comment

Originally posted by CircusOctopus View Post

Hi CircusOctopus, I'm very sorry to hear about this problem you're having. This isn't something that I've seen or heard of before. I would highly recommend opening up a service ticket on our site. PM me the email address you used and I'll get it prioritized for you as this definitely seems to be a battery problem.
            Emily M
            emily.m@xoticpc.com
            Customer Loyalty Team
            XOTIC PC

Comment

Working...
            X