• Welcome to XOTIC PC Forums! If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VISTA Tips & Tweaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VISTA Tips & Tweaks

HERE is a link to a excellent Vista Tips & Tweaks Guide
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=166532

Here is another one to review: http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/supertweaks.htm

FIREFOX Tweak:

Firefox pages runs faster by allowing multiple connections so it can download more than one file at a time. It’s only useful for broadband users, so if you’re still on dial-up you can just skip this one for now.

Here’s something for broadband people that will really speed Firefox up:

1.Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true”

Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”

Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it “nglayout.initialpaint.delay” and set its value to “0″. This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it receives.

If you’re using a broadband connection you’ll load pages MUCH faster now!
    Last edited by [email protected]PC; 04-27-2009, 07:20 AM.
    Justin Nolte
    [email protected]
    http://www.xoticpc.com

I'm sure add some of these tips to my vista laptop when I do receive it.

Comment

yeah i tried a few out. seems to improve speed of system overall. couldnt get a couple tips to work though. maybe wasnt all for ultimate x64.
      Sager np9262: 17" 1920x1200wuxga, E6850 Core2duo 3.0ghz 1.3ghz fsb 4mb L2 cache, 4Gb 800mhz ram, 1x nvidia geforce 8800mgtx 512mb gpu, 3x100gb hdd 7200rpm, Raid 0, vista ultimate x64 os, tv tuner, x-fi 7.1 sound card, triple fan cooler, 3Dmark06 9745

Comment

Nice! Thanks Justin!

Comment

Sweet, love these tips, will use some of them when i have some time to play around with them.
          Sager NP5796 Custom Notebook
          500GB 5400RPM HDD
          17 WUXGA (1920x1200)
          4,096MB DDR3 1066Mhz
          Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit
          Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi 7.1 Xtreme Audio
          nVidia GeForce 9800M GTX DDR3 DX10 1GB PCI-Express

Comment

I still think the greatest tweak I did for Vista was going back to XP but I'm cynical.

I still use Vista on a couple machines at home so thanks for the tips.

Vista does have it's moments. Kind of like dumping your wife for a young dumb blond....it's fun for a while and it looks good but you start to miss the finer things. Nice thing about XP is she will always take you back.

Comment

Originally posted by Woody View Post
              I still think the greatest tweak I did for Vista was going back to XP but I'm cynical.

I still use Vista on a couple machines at home so thanks for the tips.

Vista does have it's moments. Kind of like dumping your wife for a young dumb blond....it's fun for a while and it looks good but you start to miss the finer things. Nice thing about XP is she will always take you back.
              Agreed. inb4 someone mentions Linux. Linux is that unbelievably fat chick thats always sitting in the corner of the local bar, the one you wouldn't touch with a crowbar for $100. But after 20 beers and 4 nights without sleep, she starts to look prettier by the minute. Fast forward to the next morning, you wake up and you've been permanently violated, and the only thing you can think to do is completely start your life over from scratch. We call that "formatting drive C:\."
              Sager NP8660: 1920 x 1200 WUXGA Matte Screen; Intel P8600 45nm @ 2.4 Ghz; 4 GB DDR3 @1066 Mhz; 320 GB HDD @ 5400 RPM; X-Fi Xtreme Notebook Audio Card; Nvidia GeForce 9800M GT; Ubuntu 9.10 x64 / Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Comment

lol. You just summed up my whole month of living with linux !
                My Specs:
                sager 9262
                2.8 quad core
                9800m GTX
                4 GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by THEnaykidMANIAC View Post
                  lol. You just summed up my whole month of living with linux !
                  What a lot of people don't realize is that that's EVERYONE'S experience with Linux lol
                  Sager NP8660: 1920 x 1200 WUXGA Matte Screen; Intel P8600 45nm @ 2.4 Ghz; 4 GB DDR3 @1066 Mhz; 320 GB HDD @ 5400 RPM; X-Fi Xtreme Notebook Audio Card; Nvidia GeForce 9800M GT; Ubuntu 9.10 x64 / Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Comment

I have been using linux for 3 years, when my 5793 gets here it will be my first time dual booting in the last 2 years.

Comment

This is rather unexpected, finally I got my computer yesterday and everything was going on fine till it started freezing for no apparent reason. I have Vista installed in it and I fear this might be because of the system requirements falling short of its needs. Not being a technical person I cant tell you this in details but there is some issue with the 32 bit and 64 bit computing as I had heard before.
                      Do you think I need to go back to XP again formatting the current hard drive for smoother operations! Having said that I feel so disturbed of formating a PC that is just a day old!
                      hp scanjet 8300 professional image scanner

Comment

Originally posted by brucereid View Post
                        This is rather unexpected, finally I got my computer yesterday and everything was going on fine till it started freezing for no apparent reason. I have Vista installed in it and I fear this might be because of the system requirements falling short of its needs. Not being a technical person I cant tell you this in details but there is some issue with the 32 bit and 64 bit computing as I had heard before.
                        Do you think I need to go back to XP again formatting the current hard drive for smoother operations! Having said that I feel so disturbed of formating a PC that is just a day old!
                        What are your specs? If it's a new machine, the chance is slim that it doesn't meet Vista's requirements. You might want to try a fresh install, as the reason may be a corrupted driver or incorrect installation.
                        NP5793 | WSXGA+ | C2D T8300 2.4 GHz | 4GB DDR2 RAM | 9800M GTS | 320GB 5400 HD | BD-ROM | Vista x64

Comment

I am very familiar with Les's guide. I have not yet implemented the tips yet. I have had Vista for 3 weeks. Sure I hate it. Yea I like XP better because I know it. I have none of the slow down issues so many talk of. Maybe my hardware is better?

Reinstall is extreme but well not such a bad idea if you have the time. The bad driver suggestion is valid except I am concerned reinstall will just install the same corrupt drivers? Also drivers deal with hardware and you should be able to pinpoint possible culprits. Bad driver should demonstrate in a clear way. For example if HDD or GPU?
                          G73JH-A2
                          i7-720 CPU HD5870 GPU
                          8GB 1333MHz DDR3 2x500GB HDD

Comment

I think there is a lot of unnecessary hate, if people hate vista because it consumes a lot more resources than XP then why dont more people hate XP because it uses a lot more resources than 98 or ME?
                            Hardware evolves, simple as. we want more utility and stability out of an OS and the hardware requirements are part of that process. Windows 7 is apparently going to be the next huge leap into OS where it will be designed for low and high specced machines, lets hope it delivers

I havent had a driver problem at all with vista in all the time I have been using it, my simplest guess is that people are using more optimized and tweaked drivers to max out their performance and I think it is a lot more common to get errors using them.
                            Vista simply works Its not a huge leap into the future nor is it the holy grail but it is very simple and intuitive. It is stable and secure enough to let me allow my wife to fiddle to her heart's content :P because of the features like UAC and System Restore.
                            I like it

Comment

Working...
                            X